Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

can preference be given to a new, volunteer worker over someone

can preference be given to a new, volunteer worker over someone with seniority that gets paid?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Preferance as to what?

Do you have any reason to believe you may have been discriminated against on the basis of your race, age (40 or older), gender, disability, or something else?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry, did you get that or did I screw-up?
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I didn't receive a response from you, sorry.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oops! I'll try again. This new person has been given any and all shifts that have become available in the last 3 mos. (they are also the best "money" shifts we have) I am a bartender and I work for a non-profit org. I also feel that my boss is trying to coerce me into offering to work for free.
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I see.

Unless you have a contract stating otherwise, such as a collective bargaining agreement, the employer is not compelled to give preference to existing employees typically.

The employer is prohibited from discriminating against employees based on race, gender, age, disability, or other protected status. If the employer is not violating anti-discrimination laws though or an employee contract, they are normally free to prefer volunteers or other non-employees in scheduling unfortunately.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you think there is cause for my feeling coerced? Also, (I don't know if this is a whole seperate matter) if an employeer changes to "all volunteer" as opposed to payroll, can they keep anyone on payroll?
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I certainly understand that you would feel like you are not valued and have been treated unfairly.

Employers are permitted to use volunteers rather than employees for tasks in which they had previously used employees. That is not illegal typically.

Employees cannot legally be coerced into volunteering though. That would normally be illegal and the employee should file a complaint for wages owed with the state labor board.

Here is a link that sets out relevant state code with regard to volunteers:

All the best to you and happy holidays!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button even if you have a subscription plan so I will be credited for my time by If you do not press ACCEPT, the website retains your payment and I receive nothing. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.