Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I am working at a startup for no salary and have no contract

Customer Question

I am working at a startup for no salary and have no contract with them. the idea is for me to come on board after funding. I would like to have an agreement in place before this, especially for the equity (stock) allocation and preference.
Does anyone have a good employment term sheet, or can help me generate one? What are the key points I should include (besides change of control, etc.). My biggest concern is to secure a stock position in the company before it gets funded, both common and/or preferred stock.

Thank you.
Scott Casper
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. To be clear, are you currently working as an employee for this startup, or are you a business partner of some kind?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am doing work for them. But I don't have any paperwork that shows employment or an equity share. The company is small and is looking for first stage seed funding. I brought up the fact to the CEO that I need to get an agreement in place to continue work for him. He suggested I submit him a proposal. Therefore, I wanted to draw up an employment term sheet that outlines my future with the company and equity share of company. I see there are employment term sheet forms available on the web. Thought maybe you had a boiler plate I could start with.

Best regards, Scott
Thank you for the additional information. Here on Just Answer, we are only permitted to answer questions for you. We can't assist you in the drafting of agreements because doing so would constitute "legal representation" and would raise a number of professional and legal issues for us as attorneys and for this website.

If you can reformulate your inquiry to a specific question or set of questions, I am happy to assist you. If not, I am happy to assist you in obtaining a refund. I wish you the very best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Understood. Can you direct me to a website that could help me? Either a form or otherwise for my situation?
Sure. I like They have a model employment contract here:

You can browse through a wide range of other contracts on that website here:

It would also be a good idea to visit your local public law library. The reference librarians, who are typically attorneys themselves, will be able to direct you to publications in which you can find sample agreements and direction for how to draft your own agreement. The material you find at the law library will likely be more helpful and more reliable than just about anything you can find on the internet for free.

Visit this link to determine where the closest library is:

I sincerely hope that this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.