socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I live in California and my principal has asked us twice (without

Customer Question

I live in California and my principal has asked us twice (without pay) to give up our duty free lunch (ed code) to have the students eat in the classroom. The first time was due to hail and this week it was due to wind. We have a gym that they could eat in but he does not want the wooden floor messed up. Does he have the right to make the inclement weather policy where teachers have to supervise the students during lunch time.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.
Subject to the provisions of your collective bargaining agreement, the school administration can require that you give up your meal break to supervise students. See IWC Order #4-2001 1B.

Please understand that I "justanswer" questions “about” the law. I have no interest in providing you with anything less than a completely satisfying answer. However, if the law does not favor your unique circumstances, then the best that I can do is to explain what the law "is" and what it "is not."

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!