Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

what are my rights regarding gilmore and los angels police

Customer Question

what are my rights regarding gilmore and los angels police drop program?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

I am assuming that you are referring to the Deferred Retirement Option Plans often abbreviated as "DROP." Pursuant to DROP, police officers are able to collect both their salary and their pension at the same time.

The way it works is that an officer can formally retire and then go back to work the very next day, continuing to earn their salary. Once they become "re-employed" post-retirement, the pension that they otherwise would have begun receiving gets put in a special account at guaranteed 5% interest. Because the officer is still working, the city continues to contribute more money to the pension fund.

An officer can remain in DROP for five years post retirement, at which time he gets the accumulated pension check + interest. This can lead to a much larger pension payment than the officer would otherwise receive.

For information regarding eligibility in DROP, visit this link: http://www.lafpp.com/LAFPP/plan_drop.html

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.