Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

I am a nurse in california. I started a new job a couple of

Customer Question

I am a nurse in california. I started a new job a couple of months ago. I was given one day of training then put out on my own. I was told I have been a nurse long enough and I should be able to figure it out. I was just put on administrative paid leave without a clear answer as to why. I feel I have been trying to do my best to learn all there [email protected] on my own. Each hospital is different and have there own ways of doing things. I found myself rushing a lot and lost on what to do in many situations. What is this administrative leave with pay? Does this mean i lost my job? What do I do now? I can't defend myself because i don't know what I did.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Do you have any reason to believe you may have been discriminated against on the basis of your race, age (40 or older), gender, disability, or something else?

Is this a government run medical provider or a private company?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is a private company.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They just informed me they let me go. no real answer to why. I dont know what to do
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont believe they had reason to discriminate
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I am very sorry to hear that. Since they have not provided you with a reason for termination, you would typically be eligible for unemployment benefits since there was not good cause to terminate your job. I would immediately apply for benefits.

It doesn't make sense though that they would not provide you with training like the other nurses unless they were engaging in some sort of discrimination, whether based on race, gender, age, disability, marital status, or a non-protected status.

I would send them a written request for your personnel records. Under state law, you have the right to copy and inspect your records and this may shed some light on why they terminated you so it can be determined whether to file a complaint for discrimination with the state fair employment and housing commission.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.