Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I work for a school as an aid and volunteer after school with

Customer Question

I work for a school as an aid and volunteer after school with tutoring. I was told I can't volunteer because of flsa. what are the rules regarding this?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

The Fair Labor Standards Act (or "FLSA") is the federal law that sets minimum wage and overtime requirements. When you were told that you can't volunteer because of FLSA, what was almost certainly meant was that it would cause potential legal problems for the school because you could be seen as a non-paid employee. Many employers are very apprehensive to have individuals "volunteer" for them because those individuals could later turn around and demand wages for their time.

It's unfortunate that the good intentions of many volunteers lose out to the threat of lawsuits that many employers now feel in this situation, but that's how things have become.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that non of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.