Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  California licensed attorney

What is the customary severance package one should be given

What is the customary severance package one should be given after being let go? My husband has worked at the company for over 9 years and is being terminated because of a handicap.
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question. It is customary that an employee's severance equals one week of pay for every year the employee has been with the employer. However, anything goes where there is the potential of a lawsuit for wrongful termination. Under state and federal law, an employer is obligated to reasonably accommodate their disabled employees; if the employee can do their job with reasonable accommodations and if the accommodations have been requested, it is unlawful to terminate the employee due to the disability. In the context of a wrongful termination claim, severances may be negotiated to include a waiver of any claim in exchange for a larger payout.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.