Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

I have been working about 20 hours a week on commission. The

I have been working about 20 hours a week on commission. The company says they hired me as a full-time employee.I was told by the EDD that because I was working less than 30 hours a week I was eligible to collect unemployment benefit during the weeks I did not earn any money.. While I did earn some money certain weeks I did not claim benefits on those weeks but I did perform services to try and earn wages.. This is an appeal and the issues to be considered by the judge are: DID THE CLAIMANT PERFORM SERVICES DURING,OR RECEIVE WAGES FOR, THE WEEK(S) BENEFITS WERE CLAIMED.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

What is your question for me please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The question is will I forfeit the $58.00 a week (the EDD benefit) and have to return it to the state The employer claimed that I am not eligible for the benefit because they hired me as a full time employee.They do take out taxes from my earnings when I earn wages but I have not been working 40 hours a week because I do not have enough leads to call I am working on straight commission.
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
I see.

You should not have to repay the benefits if you were not actually working full-time during the weeks you collected benefits. While you may have been hired as a full-time worker, if you were not actually working full-time, then you would normally be eligible for partial unemployment benefits during those weeks.

In addition, the employer should pay you at least minimum wage for all hours actually worked, so your commissions must amount to at least that amount typically. If not, I would file a complaint with the state labor board to collect back wages owed to you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina, Attorney
Experience: JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.