Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

i am a manager at a disabled facility for 4 years..i was involved

Customer Question

i am a manager at a disabled facility for 4 years..i was involved in a car accident i may which my car was destroyed..since then i have been walking to work and getting rides to meetings , borrowing a car to o grocery shopping, clothes shopping, etc..yesteday i got written up for not having a car and put on 30 day probation also given until 12-2-2011 to get a car or i will not be able to be manager any more i will be demoted..in the handbook the requiremets for manager states that you have a valid california drivers license, which i have and be able to be a designated driver if needed.. which i am on the company insurance.. my question is can they pressure me to get a car when i dot have the money even tho i have been doing the things i need to do..just because it not my ow car? this is really stressing me out that i ma not have a job in 30 days.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is the employer can normally make it a condition of your employment that you own a reliable vehicle to transport yourself to and from work despite the fact this requirement is not set forth in the employee handbook or job description.

Unless you have an employment contract stating otherwise, the law typically leaves it within the employer's discretion to determine the conditions of employment for a given employ in order to further their legitimate business interests.

I'm sorry, but the employer's actions appear to be legal.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they are not worried about me getting back and forth to work.. they are worried about me transporting their clients back and foth
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
I see.

In either case, they are typically permitted to make it a condition of employment, regardless of their reasoning.

I'm sorry, but that is the reality of it.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button even if you have a subscription plan so I will be credited for my time by Justanswer.com. If you do not press ACCEPT, the website retains your payment and I receive nothing. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.