Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

If you wanted to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against the

If you wanted to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against the company you work for because they didn't terminate employment from someone you feel sexually harassed you, do you have a legitimate case for a hostile work environment if the person continues to work just 5 feet away from you? The sexual harassment in question is the coworker showed me a picture of a celebrity's penis.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

What is the "culture" of sexual harassment you refer to?

The employee they did not terminate engaged in inappropriate conduct by showing you a picture of a celebrities penis, but no other incidents of sexual harassment toward you involved this individual?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, this individual has never done anything else to me, but it's not uncommon for her to refer to deputies and defendants (we work for a non-profit at a courthouse) as "hunks" or talk about how attractive she finds some of them. By culture I'm referring to our previous supervisor sleeping with a subordinate and the agency turning a blind-eye to it. Aside from my supervisor right now, I'm the only male in the office and often times work luncheons and meeting are ripe with inappropriate comments. I was thinking of just reporting this incident to the California Labor board as mishandling it, or is it not uncommon to receive a "slap on the wrist" for incidents such as these?
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I see.

Since the incidents are unwelcome and appear to be continuing, this would be a matter for which you would typically file a complaint with the state fair employment and housing commission, not the labor board.

You are protected by law from retaliation by the employer for filing the complaint, and if the employer retaliated, that would typically constitute a basis for a new complaint.

It is best to consult further with a local employment law attorney to review the complaint and best protect your rights.

One incident is not typically enough to constitute a viable claim for sexual harassment unless it is very egregious. However, where the incidents are continuing and create a hostile work environment, that is normally enough to warrant filing a complaint.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.