LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

I have Lupus. I have FMLA for that. This summer, my grandmother

I have Lupus. I have FMLA for that. This summer, my grandmother came to visit and wound up in Intensive Care. I had to certifiy her need for me to take care of her for a set period of time. No problem. Now, I am told I have used up all my allotted FMLA until 20 December, which is one year from my original request.

Do I have any options for extending the number of days I can use or resetting the date for which I am eligible for another 12 weeks?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

I'm afraid that the FMLA regulations do not allow for the extending of the 12 week leave period, or re-setting the anniversary date of your eligibility so that you may take more then the 12 week maximum in a given 12 month period---I'm sorry.

If you have paid time off or sick leave accumulated, you may use that. However, the FMLA does not provide exceptions to the 12 week a year rule.

I wish you the best in 2011.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation, nor was it what I sense you were hoping to hear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,