Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

Greetings, My former employer has terminated my position and

Customer Question

My former employer has terminated my position and offered me a lump sum, equivalent to 3 months of paid. After I sent a 10 page letter to them explaining sexual harassment and wrongful termination, they offered me 12 months; however, the new agreement is now called 'Settlement and General Release agreement" vs. ‘Separation and General Release’. I live in CA and my unemployment has already been approved. I have not signed the settlement agreement yet. Would this jeopardize my unemployment benefits due to the fact that it's a settlement agreement?

Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

A settlement for a legal claim would not typically have any effect on your claim for unemployment benefits under CA law.

It would typically be treated the same as severance, which does not affect your benefits either, but should be reported to the EDD.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.