Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

If you have numerous reports of your former boss bad mouthing

If you have numerous reports of your former boss bad mouthing you to other prospective jobs. What law section in california prohibits it? Slander, Black balling and so forth. I've not worked with this individual for a couple of months and she's trying to have me removed from a fire board. She has even told people I will never work for a fire department again.

I worked really hard to make it as a fire inspector and if anyone were to listen to her slander they may not want to hire me. What do I do?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

What types of statements are being made about you to third parties?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She's made statements that I am not qualified to do inspections. Which I have more credentials than her. She made a statement that I would never work for a fire department ever again. Now she has been pushing for my fire committee to have me removed from there board. I can get letters from the individuals asking for specific wording if I need to.
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I see.

The labor code does not address this type of conduct by the former employer.

However, you could file suit against her for interference with business relations typically since it does appear she is intentionally interfering with your ability to locate other employment.

You could seek any damages you have suffered as a result of this conduct as well as a restraining order preventing her from continuing to engage in such conduct.

Here is a link that provides more information on this type of cause of action:

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.