WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced California employment lawyer.

I am 53 and was teminated as the manager, the reason given

I am 53 and was teminated as the manager, the reason given was the branch was not performing and they wanted to go in a new direction. They said I was able to apply for other jobs and give me a 3 month package but want me to sign docuemnets that I would not take any action. I had been runing the branch for over 3 years and never had any type of consuling for any type of performace.

Do I have any case our should I sign the doucments.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm WiseOwl58. I am here to answer your question about California employment law.

I am sorry to hear that you are losing your job.

Unless you have some sort of employment contract, you are an at will employee and they can terminate you at any time with or without cause.

If there is some other incident of which you are aware, such as sexual harassment, discrimination, etc., there may be a claim that lies in that incident. You have not mentioned anything.

That being said, they may have the right to terminate you at any time. A three month package for three years of service seems to be fairly generous--the standard is two weeks for each year, and they have offered you twice that amount. But only you can decide if it is acceptable.

Signing a release in exchange for a severance payment is standard business. It seems like they are treating you fairly, unless you know of something else going on that you did not describe in your question.

Please press the green Accept button. It has been a pleasure serving you.