socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

MY LAWYER SAID SINCE I WORK FOR THE STATE OF CA. I CANNOT

Customer Question

MY LAWYER SAID SINCE I WORK FOR THE STATE OF CA. I CANNOT SETTLE OUT AND GET THE PAY IN FULL. hE SAYS THEY WILL ONLY PAY IN PAYMENTS. HE GOT THEM TO AGREE TO A HIGHER DISABILITY RATING TO 44%, AND SAYS IF I TRY TO SETTLE IT OUT IT WILL GO DOWN MUCH LOWER. hE ALSO HAS MADE ME COME BACK TO SETTLEMENT COURT AGAIN IF I DO NOT AGREE TO IT, WHEN I HAD TOLD HIM ALL ALONG I WANTED TO SETTLE.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello. What specifically is the question you'd like me to answer? Thanks so much for your patience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

why are they reluctant to me settling the matter to receive all the money at once instead of payments thru the course of 4-5 years..why do i have to go to another court date to see their answer to settle.

Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

Different Expert here. Please permit me to assist.

The State of California is broke. It wants to spread its liability over time, because that makes it easier to manage the debt. This policy is in force, not only for you, but for every workers compensation claim against the state, and that adds up to millions of dollars. So, it's not personal -- it's just business.

You can sell your payment stream to a settlement funding company and get cash for your settlement. That's how most people handle this sort of circumstance.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!