Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

Hi, Please tell me where I can get information regarding California

Hi, Please tell me where I can get information regarding California law on employees who are pregnant and have a high absentee rate. Is there a difference in disaplining these employees.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Do you know the reason for the absences?

Do you have 15 or more employees? Fifty or more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, we are 48/49 employees. January we will be over 50. I do not know the reason for her absences. I will be sitting down with her today. Do I treat it like a disability if it is medical? Can I ask her for medical clarification or support of her absences?
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Yes, you should treat this employee the same as other employees who have a disability typically, so that you do not discriminate against her because of her pregnancy.

You are permitted to require documentation for her absences if that is your policy for other employees. The law does not require that you treat the employee better than other employees, including those who have a disability, but you cannot treat her less favorably typically.

If she is unable to carry her workload due to absences and does not request a reasonable accommodation under the ADA that you could provide, then you may require that she take leave according to your policies.

The state PDLL (Pregnancy Disability Leave Law) typically requires that you provide the employee with up to 4 months of pregnancy leave if they are unable to work.

Here is a link that provides more information:

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.