Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

My wife works as an elementary school teacher. Her contract

My wife works as an elementary school teacher. Her contract contains language that enables employees to have the opportunity to earn a higher salary by taking approved college coursework compensated at the rate of ~$70 per unit / year. This issue I am investigating revolves around a particular piece of contract language that stes that employees hired prior to a particular date have a limit of earning credit for 105 college units and employees hired after that particular date have a limit of only 95 college units allowed for salary credit. My question is "Doesnt this constitute discrimination?". All other factors being equal, one group is given an opportunity to earn a higher salary where another is not.

Your thoughts?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

While the provision may be discriminatory, it does not typically constitute prohibited discrimination.

State and federal law prohibits discrimination based on race, gender, age, disability, marital status and other protected classifications typically.

In this situation, the employees are groups by their hire date and not by race, gender, or other protected status. Therefore, the different treatment of the two groups does not constitute prohibited discrimination.

If the policy treated employees differently based on a protected status, that would constitute unlawful discrimination and be actionable by affected employees typically.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.