Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I was terminated and was given and I wasnt written up on it

I was terminated and was given and I wasn't written up on it and was said I had poor behavior but a month before I was given a $5 raise in salary for all my good work performance I was working with a friend at a law firm but when she go mad at me and stop speaking to me this came about because she and the co-owner of the firm because best buddies I feel I was terminated unjustified I still did my work as asked. Please tell me what right I have thanks
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Did you have an employment contract?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What type of contract?
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
An employment contract. It would normally indicate how long you were contracted to work with the employer and may include language indicating whether you could be terminated without good cause or not. Most employees don't have such a contract, did you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was an offer letter and I don't recall me being given that to sign.
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
I see.

An offer letter could be construed as a contract depending on the language, but is not usually a binding agreement for purposes of your situation.

In CA, as in most states, you are an employee at will if working without a contract. Under the employment at will doctrine, you or the employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time without good cause.

This means that the employer did not have to provide you with a valid reason for your termination and does not have to justify it. Unless they discriminated against you or retaliated based on some protected status, which does not appear to be the case here, there would normally be no legal action you could take against them.

You should still be eligible for unemployment benefits though if they cannot prove you were terminated for good cause, so I would apply with the unemployment commission right away.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina, Attorney
Experience: JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.