Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

In California can you offer different employees different health

In California can you offer different employees different health plans, ie offer one employee the opportunity to add their child on to the policy paid for by the employer and only offer to a lower level employee that only they can be on the policy but not their spouse>
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Assuming that the employees are not part of a union with a collective bargaining agreement, no California law requires employers to provide the exact same benefit coverage to all employees. Typically, employers can use discretion when structuring benefits plans and are able to offer greater or lesser coverage to certain types of employees, if desired. The key is that the coverage does not vary for discriminatory reasons (meaning, for example, that you can't simply offer women or people of a certain race lesser coverage).

I hope that you find my response helpful, and I wish you the best of luck.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button directly above. I will not get credit for assisting you or receive payment for my work unless you do this. Your question will not close after you click "accept," and you will still be able to ask follow-up questions if necessary.
The only facts I know about your situation are the ones that you tell me, so please try to be specific and bear in mind that, occasionally, miscommunications will occur. I will do everything I can to clarify my answer if I have misunderstood your question. Also bear in mind that the law does not always read how we think it should. I ask that you be understanding if an opinion I have provided is not consistent with what you wanted to hear.
Finally, the information that I have provided is not legal advice. I am not acting as your attorney and my answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us. I encourage you to consult with a local attorney in regard to legal matters.