Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

How long do you need to retain paper copies of financial records,

How long do you need to retain paper copies of financial records, e.g., receipts, bills and other expense-related items?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

There are various state and federal retention requirements with regard to employee records.

Here is a link that sets out these retention requirements:

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That was pretty good, however, it focuses more on personnel records than financial records. My question has to do with paper records of expenses. We save records in QuickBooks, but do we need to retain paper backup such as bills, payments, etc.
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
This would involve IRS retention requirements. You should normally retain all paper documentation and electronic files substantiating expenses taken for a period of 6 years or more.

Here is a link that provides more information:,,id=98513,00.html

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button even if you have a subscription plan so I will be credited for my time by If you do not press ACCEPT, the website retains your payment and I receive nothing. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.