KUMI95
KUMI95, Attorney
Experience:  12 years attorney experience, Handled numerous landlord tenant issues in NYC and NY state
16356563

My wife is suing her former boss for wrongful termination.

My wife is suing her former boss for wrongful termination. She was fired right after she had her baby. I was just served for "deposition Subpoena for personal appearance" and "ordered to appear as a witness". Why do they want to speak with me? And what are my rights because i'm assuming it is different since i'm not the plaintiff? should I hire an attorney for myself? Please advise.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  KUMI95 replied 2 years ago.

wallstreetesq. :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

wallstreetesq. :

As the spouse, you may have certain evidence or facts surrounding the situation

wallstreetesq. :

however, in your case, I would think that your spouses attorney may want you to give testimony

wallstreetesq. :

to the facts about your spouses actual damages from the employer actions,

wallstreetesq. :

and the loss financially and emotionally if any of the family, and your spouse,

Customer:

Its the defendent attorney that supoena me

wallstreetesq. :

in terms of the facts of the wrongful termination case, all your knowledge would be hearsay and not relevant,

Customer:

then why do you think they are ordering me for a seposition?

Customer:

deposition*

wallstreetesq. :

A deposition in cases like this is standard practice, and your spouses attorney should brief you on what to say,

wallstreetesq. :

The only thing you can testify is to what you actually witnessed, which is what happened at home,

Customer:

ok cool. Should i bring an attorney?

wallstreetesq. :

No,

Customer:

so this is common in cases liek this?

wallstreetesq. :

I would speak to her attorney, and they will advise you what to say, usually in matters like this I advise parties,

Customer:

that deals with family stuff?

wallstreetesq. :

not to elaborate on anything, and answer yes, no, I do not recall.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Thanks for the help

wallstreetesq. :

Yes, because if she wins her lawsuit, she can argue for more money damages due to the pain caused to her family,

KUMI95, Attorney
Experience: 12 years attorney experience, Handled numerous landlord tenant issues in NYC and NY state