socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My doctor has requested that I go on permanent disability.

My doctor has requested that I go on permanent disability. My short term disability will run out this month and it takes Social Security at least 120 days to make a decision. I did not request SSI as my husband makes about 45K a year. However we are in marriage couseling and may get divorced. What kind of assistance may I receive when the STD runs out and I am waiting on the decison of Social Security? Please help, we are barely making it, I do not have health insurance. My husband works for a small company and claims he can not get it for me. However the past 12 years of our marriage, I made more money than him, covered all benefits for his 2 children, my son, so the entire family. The kids are grown now and we are growing apart. We owe the IRS money from last year, so financially we are not good. The marriage is not good. I am in survival mode and need to know if I can do anything to expedite the Social Security, I am very tempted to file for divorce as my deadline for SSI is Dec 1st. I am scared, I have worked hard for 30 years. Can I get any assistance financially once my STD runs out and my Social Security has not been approved

Already Tried:
contacting social security without any response
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

You could obtain spousal support from your husband as part of the dissolution of marriage. However, because his income is relatively low, you could not expect spousal support to be able to actually provide for you, independent of any other income.

But, if you were to get temporary spousal support until your disability comes through, then that may at least supplement your savings while you are waiting.

Hope this helps.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“ToCustomerrdquo;), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My question still remains,in the state of california, are there any programs for someone like me? The STD will run out next month and the Social Security Review will take 120 days. Can I qualify for any financial assistance until the Social Security is approved?

By the way, things are getting better with my husband so that is a good thing. However as you mentioned his income is pretty low.

Thank you

There iare no programs of which I'm aware that would extend your SDI benefits, nor any other program available through the Employment Development Department.

You posted your question in the California Employment Law category, and I am not particularly knowledgable on matters concerning general public assistance for adults.

However, here is the Department of Social Services link for your review.

Hope this helps.