socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My Wifes company is being bought out by a large corporation.

My Wife's company is being bought out by a large corporation. It is unknown if her existing pension plan will be left intact. We understand that the answer will come during the period of open enrollment for benefits in November. Understanding that the original contract of employment or employee 's handbook may contain the answer ( I have not yet seen either) Is there any general knowledge in the law about employee's rights to retain anything or is the pension plan totally in the hands of the employer?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.
When a business organization is consolidated (purchased), the purchaser has two options: (1) it can freeze the existing retirement benefits and then move the employees into the purchasing business' retirement plan; or (2) it can maintain the consolidated employees with their original plan.

In order to maintain an existing plan, the purchased business must be maintained as a separate entity. Also, there are numerous IRS and ERISA requirements that prohibit discrimination between plans operated by a single controlling entity.

Generally, option #2 is extraordinarily rare, and option #1 is the choice, because it's simply easier to accompish. I would be willing to bet that this will be the outcome for your spouse.

Note: when I say "freeze," what I mean is that the employer will treat the employee as having been permanently laid off as of the date of consolidation, and whatever benefits may accrue to that employee which would have accrued had the employee actually been laid off, will be provided to the employee. Typically, that means the retirement benefits will be paid out when the employee's right to benefits vests in the future.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)