Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

The company i work for was just purchased by our competitor.

The company i work for was just purchased by our competitor. I have a severance contract with my previous employer, does that carry over to the new company? I have not met with the new company yet, what if they offer me a job at 1/2 my current pay? if I turn that down am i voiding the contract?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Yes, the successor company would normally be bound to contracts entered into by the predecessor.

It is most certain if the contract contains language indicating that it is binding on successors and assigns, but normally they are anyway.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.