Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

My job has recently required all supervisors to have a class

My job has recently required all supervisors to have a class A drivers license even though for 2 months I did the job as a temporary for one position and then again for two months for another in both cases I got the job done without a class A license. Question is it legal for them to arbitrarily decide that now all supervisors must have a class A license when it clearly can be accommodated without. In fact we currently have a supervisor who has never had one. I believe they want to keep me in my position because I do my job very well and in fact one manager even told me that i have backed my self into a corner because i do my current job so well and would be hard to replace.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

The employer is normally permitted to set the terms of employment, and may modify the terms of employment that are not in violation of a contract in place typically.

Since you have diabetes, which is normally recognized as a disability under the ADA, you may request that the employer provide you with a reasonable accommodation by not requiring you to obtain the class A license and continue to perform the job.

As long as the accommodation is not an undue hardship to the employer, they must normally provide the accommodation under the ADA.

Here is a link that summarizes what constitutes a reasonable accommodation under the ADA:

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/accommodation.html

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina, Attorney
Experience: JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.