Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I have been working for a non profit Hospice Agency as an RN

I have been working for a non profit Hospice Agency as an RN for 7 years 3-4 days per week or less sometimes. REcently our pt census dropped and administrative changes have occurred. Policy was instituted that all filed staff RN would now have to rotate a night all position requiring us to work during the day and handle visits at night as they arose. I submitted a letter from my medical doctor listing the reasons I was unable to drive at night and so there fore I should be excused from night shift duty. I have been called off consistently for 2 weeks stating that there was not enough pts for me to work. This would not be necessarily unusual if pt census dropped and because of my per diem status but there are other RNs that are doing the night call, are perdiem and are getting the work. My question is am I eligible for unemployment benifits from California?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Since the employer is not scheduling you for work, you would normally be entitled to obtain unemployment benefits.

In addition, where there is a significant change in your terms of employment (such as a shift change), that typically does provide good cause for seeking benefits if you have exhausted all other options, such as accommodations that may be granted by the employer.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.