socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Hello,I currently live in California and work for a parking

I currently live in California and work for a parking company grave yard shift. I want to know should we be paid night time differential for working grave yard shift (10pm until 6:30 p.m.)? Are they breaking any CA Labor Laws?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

There is no California or federal law expressly modifying a worker's hourly wage based upon the time of day during which the worker is employed. An employee is entitled to $8.00 per hour minimum wage for the first eight hours of employment, $12,00 per hour for the next four hours, and $16.00 per hour for any hours worked in excess of 12, during any 24 hour period.

There are a few exceptions to the above rules, but none of them are based upon working the "graveyard" or any other work shift.

You may have contractual rights, under your union collective bargaining agreement, which grants you pay differentials based upon work shift. But if the union contract doesn't grant you such rights, then you are only entitled to the same pay as anyone who works a day shift.

Note: Persons under 18 years of age (minors) are subject to different wage laws that prohibit working during certain hours for certain ages. But, no such law exists for adult workers.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!