socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

my unemployment compensation has been cancelled because of

my unemployment compensation has been cancelled because of my misunderstanding on how to report part time work. The appeal takes 11 to 12 weeks. I have no income now. I must find some work to allow me to exist. How will this effect my unemployment compensation?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
A pending appeal would not affect your right to UI if you find less than full-time work during the period in which your appeal is pending.

You remain unemployed and eligible for benefits during any week of less than full-time work, if the wages payable to you with respect to the week, when reduced by twenty-five dollars ($25) or 25 percent of the wages payable, whichever is greater, do not equal or exceed your weekly benefit amount. Example:

1. You worked 30 hours;
2. Your regular weekly UI benefit would have been $450;
3. You earned $474.99.

If you earned $475, that would equal your weekly benefit minus $25, and would make you ineligible for UI benefits.

Also, if you accept full-time work for two weeks or longer, you must submit a new application for benefits, based upon a new claim.

In summary:

1. Don't earn more than your weekly UI benefit minus $25.
2. Don't work two weeks consecutively for the same employer, and;
3. Don't work a 40 hour week.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is UI as referenced in your reply
UI = unemployment insurance.