Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

My Manager is working her employees a full 8 hours with only

Customer Question

My Manager is working her employees a full 8 hours with only a 15 minute break and when we work 5 hours we get no breaks and she says it's because it's Sunday. Is this legal?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

No. CA employers are normally required to provide employees with at least a 30 minute lunch if they work a minimum of 5 hours. Sundays are not excluded in the law typically.

Here is a link that sets out the requirements for lunch periods:

Here is a link that sets out the requirements for additional break periods:

As set forth in the links, you are typically entitled to compensation for each violation of the law and if the employer does not compensate you, file a complaint with the state labor board.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can I re-read my answer
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
If you have trouble viewing your answer, please contact customer service.