Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I have two questions. 1. Are employers NOT required to

I have two questions.

1. Are employers NOT required to give the unemployment applications or claims to terminated employees if the employer thinks that these employees would not qualify for unemployment?

2. If I am denied unemployment and then go forward with an appeal, am I allowed to bring my union lawyer?
Hello and welcome,

Employers are not required to provide employees with an application for unemployment benefits typically. It is up to the employee to contact the EDD and file an application.

Union attorneys are not required to represent employees or union members in unemployment proceedings normally unless the union agreement states otherwise.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your quick and helpful answers!

I should be more clear about my second question. Would the EDD allow a union lawyer to accompany me to my appeal hearing if the union lawyer is willing to do so? Or would the EDD allow only my former employer and I to meet with the hearing officer?
Yes, you would normally be permitted to have the attorney of your choosing represent you at the hearing, assuming they are willing to represent you.

You are very welcome and all the best to you!