Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

My wife was just informed that her services are no longer needed

Customer Question

My wife was just informed that her services are no longer needed at her company. They just offered her a month severance pay and her bonus. She's been there 3 yrs and they said the reason they are letting her go is that she should be supporting a partner. The partner she supported left on not so good terms and she has been supporting lower level positions since he departed. She's never received any negative comments on a review. The gentleman she currently assists says she's always been a B+ assistant. She told them she didn't think a month was enough and they said they'd get back to her tomorrow. Not sure of what the negotiation strategy should be. This is a private equity company with 30+ employees in San Francisco.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Does the employer have a written policy of paying a specific amount of severance based on number of years of service or other criteria?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm 99% sure there's nothing regarding severance in her "at will" contract.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

In that case, the law does not typically require that the employer pay any severance to employees.

Because of this, your wife would not normally have signficant leverage to negotiate more severance unless there is a basis for her to allege that the employer has violated the law in terminating her, such as violations of anti-discrimination or anti-retaliation laws.

If there is any wrongdoing she can point to by the company with regard to her employment, then that should be raised in attempting to negotiate a higher severance. Otherwise, unless they are willing to negotiate, they may rescind the offer of severance altogether.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.