NonEstateEsq
NonEstateEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney since 2000. Columbia Law School graduate.
16277701

My son works at a restaurant as a chef. Management there has

My son works at a restaurant as a chef. Management there has initiated new hours and a 6 day work week. The hours have been extended from 8 hours to 12 hours when he is required to punch out on a clock at 9 PM, but must stay until 11 or 11:30 PM and finish the shift. Every employee there is afraid to complain for fear of being fired. Is this fair and if not what steps can be taken to correct it?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  NonEstateEsq replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using the JA website. Please remember that this site is intended to provide general legal information only.

Asking an employee to work off the clock is illegal if your son is an hourly employee and paid by the hour. He needs to report it to the state Dept of Labor and/or hire an attorney.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. Otherwise, please remember to hit the green ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for our time, expertise, and research. We do not get paid by the website and so we rely on customers to honor the honor system and accept our responses so that we can continue to provide this service to people such as yourself. When leaving feedback, please also remember that we experts do not make the laws. We only report what the laws are and so please do not shoot the messenger.
NonEstateEsq, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Attorney since 2000. Columbia Law School graduate.