Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

When can I file a Unemployment Insurance from EDD when my employer

When can I file a Unemployment Insurance from EDD when my employer cannot pay my August salary? The company I work with is a start-up and they are running out of money. They are hoping to get new money from another group of investors. Shall I file a Unemployment Insurance now. I don't know how long, if any, will they get the new money.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

The state labor board is the agency with which you would typically file a wage claim seeking collection of unpaid wages and penalties since it is a violation for the company to fail to pay your wages on the scheduled pay dates.

You may also file a complaint with the EDD seeking unemployment benefits, but as long as you are working, they may defer to the state labor board.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.htm

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Since the company may not have money to pay anyone, should I quit the job in order to file the UI? Will the UI cover this situation for company that is broke.
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
Your chances of obtaining unemployment are typically best if you exhaust other options first, including filing a wage claim with the labor board.

If you cannot afford to work though without getting paid and quit because of that, you should be approved for benefits.

All the best to you.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button even if you have a subscription plan so I will be credited for my time by Justanswer.com. If you do not press ACCEPT, the website retains your payment and I receive nothing. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.

Tina, Attorney
Experience: JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.