How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are California base S-Corporation. The question I have is Can the employer pay less r

Resolved Question:

We are California base S-Corporation. The question I have is:
Can the employer pay less rate than the IRS on the mileage reimbursement? How low can it be? Our new manager told us that his previous employer paid 25 cents per mile toward reimbursement, though the IRS rate at the time was 50 cents.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

The law typically requires that employees be reimbursed for expenses incurred on behalf of the employer.

Employers are not required to utilize the IRS mileage rate for reimbursement but if a lower rate does not reimburse employees for their expenses incurred, it would be a violation of law normally.

A gas receipt method plus a flat amount is acceptable IF it covers the employees expenses typically. If the employee can show it does not reimburse them for expenses incurred, then the policy should be modified.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

One more question which was not answered on the previous post:

Are the employer required to pay overtime for a single day even the person work 3 days a week, less than 35 hours per week?

Those overtime incurred due to the traffic jam in Southern California. One employee turned in his time sheet, stated he only took 30 minutes break, but he worked 11 hours (included the traffic hours while he was on the freeway) per day. I told him he has to take TWO lunch break (which we have no way to monitor how long he took the break,while he is out in the field) if he works more than 10 hours.

Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Employees who work more than 8 hours in a day, are required to be paid overtime typically. Travel time may be paid at a lower rate though normally.

Here is a link with more information:

You may discipline the employee if they do not adhere to your policy of taking two 30 minute breaks when they work more than 10 hours.

Tina and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions