socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

wrongful termination

how long does it take for the DFEH to Investagate a complaint.

Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
I reviewed your previous answer. If you were issued a "right to sue" letter, then DFEH has closed your case without further investigation. If you triggered the right to sue letter on your own, via the automated system, by mistake, then you will need to contact DFEH and explain what happened, and ask them to reopen the investigation.

Otherwise, your case is closed, no further investigation will take place, and if you wish to move forward, you will need to find an employment rights lawyer to represent you in court.

For a reputable referral to an employment rights attorney, see this link.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“ToCustomerrdquo;), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does the DFEH look into Wrongful Termination complaints.

A wrongful termination complaint can be based upon either discrimination or violation of state public policy (e.g, employee report of employer's criminal activity to law enforcement, jury duty, witness subpoena, etc.). Such claims are handled by the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.

Class-based discrimination (race, color, nationality, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, equal pay between sexes, age or disability) are handled by DFEH. Any other wrongful termination claim would have to be made via a private lawyer/lawsuit.

Hope this helps.