socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

my employer came to me and said I think you have stolen but

my employer came to me and said I think you have stolen but I havent what are my rights?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

If your employer made this claim to someone other than you (customer, friend, coworker, supervisor, etc.), then you may have a lawsuit for defamation of character against the employer. Otherwise, there is no legal recourse for you.

Employers can be amazing asses, sometimes. Many times, an employee has a claim that they can make -- many times not. Sometimes, you just have to ignore the employer, because, frankly, the employer is a person, too, and he/she may have a tough day, too, and is taking it out on you for no good reason.

You can write a letter to your employer stating that you deny the allegation and that if the employer makes this claim to any third party, that you will take appropriate legal action to defend your interests. However, by doing this, you may just annoy the employer to the point where he/she fires you. So, what you choose to do must be tempered by how badly you need the job.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!