Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

My husband was recently hospitalized for panic, anxiety, stress

My husband was recently hospitalized for panic, anxiety, stress (attempted suicide) related to his current work environment. He works for a corporation. Should he make them aware of the fact that he was hospitalized due to the work environment?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

If the physician can state with medical certainty that his condition is work-related, then this would typically give rise to a claim for workers comp benefits and he should alert the employer as soon as possible as a claim should be filed through them.

It would also be best for him to be represented by a workers comp attorney on a contingency fee basis. If his work environment has caused such extreme stress, they may not be willing to cooperate in providing him benefits either.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.