Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

How many consecutive weeks (or weeks per year) can I be required

How many consecutive weeks (or weeks per year) can I be required to be on-call? On-call being defined as able to respond to a crime scene within one hour (around the clock). On-call assignments are one week periods, and are multiple weeks in a row. Approximately $25.00 per day is added to my wages during scheduled on-call periods (and OT if called out after hours). I work for the City of San Diego.
Thank You
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

There is typically no limit on the amount of on-call time an employer may require. The law does set out a test to determine whether employees must be compensated for the on-call time, but it does not normally limit the number of hours an employee may be required to remain on call.

Here is a link that discusses the law with regard to whether employees should be compensated for on-call time even if they are not called in to work:

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could you tell me which labor code sections to review?
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Much of the law is set out in cases interpreting the labor code, so the code is not going to tell you much unfortunately.

Here are some links summarizing the law (statutory and case law as well as administrative law);

Here is one that cites some cases: