socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I am an employee of the Dept of Animals Services in Los Angeles.

Customer Question

I am an employee of the Dept of Animals Services in Los Angeles. I recently took a training course to be a Reserved Animal Control officer (RACO) to assist the dept since budget constraints does now allow for any new desperately needed Animal Control Officers to be hired.
I was just told that it is against Federal Law for an employee of a public agency to volunteer for that same agency.
Please let me know where I may look up the validity of that law?
Thank you.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
Title 29 C.F.R. 553.103(a) provides in pertinent part, "The 1985 Amendments provide that employees may volunteer hours of service to their public employer or agency provided ‘‘such services are not the same type of services which the individual is employed to perform for such public agency.’’ [emphasis added]

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I still didn't get an answer to my BOnus question.
The question was answered at 1:16 PM PDT. Not sure why you weren't notified. Here is a link.

Hope this helps.