socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

He told me this unofficially. If I dont accept the lower position

Customer Question

He told me this unofficially. If I don't accept the lower position fo I still qualify for unempoyment benefits. right now I'm still receiving disability.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
In order to qualify for UI, the lower offer must generally be at least 20% below your current salary. However, before an offer can even be considered for purposes of UI eligibility, the offer must be "genuine." An oral offer with nothing more, provided by a person who may or may not have authority to hire, is not a genuine offer. So, if your employer is making you another offer, then tell them to put it writing, with a complete description of the job and benefits, or you will assume that the offer is simply an offer to negotiate.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!