socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I am a management consultant in california my cleint is also

I am a management consultant in california my cleint is also in ca and they owe me 118,000 in fees over 90 days. can I file a lien on the clients personal property. I am a 1099 contractor but also accept the CEO position
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
California does not recognize a lien for wages or personal services lien against an employer or contracting party, except (1) if voluntarily agreed to by the employer/contracting party as part of a written agreement; or (2) where the services are performed on real or personal property (e.g., mechanic's or repair lien: Civil Code 3061; 3109 et. seq.).

The only way that you could get a lien for wages or services rendered, is to sue for breach of contract, prove the breach, obtain judgment in your favor, and then you could record a general judgment lien against the employer/contracting party's assets, which could be siezed by the sheriff and sold to satisfy the judgment.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!