Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

A police officer asked me, an RN for drug screen results. He

A police officer asked me, an RN for drug screen results. He was in the process of being evaluated for a 5150 hold. He had a parole braclete on his ankle, and the police knew him well. The police offered that the pt. was postive for meth, which he was. The doctors in this county cannot do 5150 evaluations, so it falls on the local law enforcement. In my view, in order to do a complete evaluation, the law needed the information to conduct an appropriate evaluation. The patient was hallucinating, but cooperative. Unable to give informed consent, as he did not know time, president of the situation. I felt it was for the safety of the patient that he be in jail or 5150 until further screening by psychiatric servives could take place. This patient went to jail. I don't know his crimiinal history, nor did I ask. I was fired for my actions.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

What is your question regarding your situation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Was it legal to fire me? Was this a hippa violation?
Did I violate any patient rights?
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, it was legal for you to be terminated for your actions.

If you don't have a contract with your employer, you are an at will employee, meaning that you can be terminated at any time by your employer with or without any prior notice for any reason (even a bad one--so long as it's not discriminatory).

Also, you did not violate any HIPAA rights nor the patient's rights in this situation.