Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

Can we require our preschool teachers to have continuing education

Can we require our preschool teachers to have continuing education in their job descriptions or can we put continuing education in our merit pay plan?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

It is typically legal to require continuing education as a job qualification.

It is also normally legal for employers to use continuing education as a requirement for receiving pay increases.

Unless the policies discriminate against employees based on their age, race, disability, or other protected status, the employer is normally permitted to set the criteria for obtaining and retaining a job as well as receiving pay increases.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Tina. I need some clarification.

Currently the continuing ed requirement is in the job descriptions, however continuing ed has at the same time been used in the voluntary merit pay program. Can we legally use continuing ed in both places?

Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Yes. There would normally be nothing preventing you from using the continuing ed requirement in both places.

All the best to you.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button even if you have a subscription plan so I will be credited for my time by Justanswer.com. If you do not press ACCEPT, the website retains your payment and I receive nothing. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.