Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I am currently in talks with my employer about OT not paid.

I am currently in talks with my employer about OT not paid. They requested that I give them another 3 weeks to determine if they will pay the OT or not. this has been going on since June. Can I quit with good cause because of non payment?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

You must typically exhaust your remedies before seeking unemployment benefits after quitting, or the commission is likely to deny your application for unemployment benefits.

Since the state is quite effective about collecting overtime owed to employees, you should typically file a wage and hour complaint to initiate an investigation and collection of the wages allegedly owed.

If the employer terminates you for filing the complaint, then you would normally be entitled to unemployment and could seek lost wages and benefits through a suit for retaliatory discharge.

Here is a link to file a wage and hour complaint:

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.