Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

Is an employer required to pay prevailing wages for travel

Is an employer required to pay prevailing wages for travel time to and from a jobsite?
Example: XXXXXfrom company yard to jobsite in company vehicle.
8 hours worked on jobsite.
XXXXXfrom jobsite back to company yard in company vehicle.
Please site applicable labor code sections.
Thank you,
Debra Franco
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

Yes. Employers are typically required to pay employees for travel to and from the worksite from the employer's place of business.

Here is a link with regard to contractors and prevailing wages:

Under the FLSA and state law, private employers must typically pay for such commute time as well.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is for California not Arizona.

I understand that payment for travel is required. But at what hourly rate?

Prevailing rates (determined by the California Department of Labor) or a rate determined by the employer (no less than minimum wage).

Thank you.

Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Here is the link for you:

If your employer is required to pay prevailing wages, then the prevailing wage would typically be the rate at which you should be paid.

If not, they can normally pay as little as minimum wage for the drive time, plus any overtime rate that may apply.