socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

always get joked about my age at work by other employees and

always get joked about my age at work by other employees and a supervisor in front of other people.what can i do.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

Assuming that you can prove the hostile intent of the employees' conduct (and the apparent condonation by the employer), then you have an action for unlawful discrimination against the employer -- if for nothing else, then for emotional injury.

The problem with these lawsuits is that once you file, all of your coworkers who said they would testify in your behalf, suddenly have a case of "selective memory loss," because they are all terrified of losing their respective jobs.

So, your real case depends heavily on finding independent evidence of the bad acts of your coworker and supervisor.

Regardless, on the facts as you state them, you do have a claim.

You can file a charge directly with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, or you can hire an employment rights attorney and sue.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!