Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

If an employee is no longer able to physically perform job

If an employee is no longer able to physically perform job duties, and is offered a position that pays less salary at the top of its wage range than the employee makes at the job they have been performing, but can no longer do, can the salary be reduced to reflect the work the employee is actually doing?
Thank you for contacting

Yes. The employer normally can reduce the employee's salary to reflect the work actually being done by the employee.

The employee could be entitled to a reasonable accommodation for their current job under the ADA. However, if there is no reasonable accommodation available and the employee cannot perform the required tasks, the employer may typically reduce the employee's wages if they must be reassigned.

Good luck and take care.

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and all the best to you.