socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My daughter was terminated for being late to work on several

My daughter was terminated for being late to work on several occasion. She was a leasing agent. Unemployment benefits were denied and the decision appealed. When she was late to work it was because she was otherwise engaged, like showing properties. Her courtdate is on 8/18 in Los Angeles. Since she doesn't have any income she lives in Arizona with her sister. Should she travel to L.A. for the courtdate, have a lawyer represent her or use the telephone option for her appearance?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

I would never say that having a lawyer for representation is a bad idea. I don't know enough about the case to determine if your daughter has any chance of winning -- but, based upon what you've disclosed, that without a lawyer she has no chance at all.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!