LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

Hello, I am a RSP special education teacher teacher in southern

Customer Question

Hello, I am a RSP special education teacher teacher in southern CA and have been teaching in the district at the same school for 3 years. Last June I was laid off from my position for a returning military soldier returning from overseas. The district had many other open positions that this teacher could have been placed into. My union president informed me that because I was a probationary teacher (I would hve been tenure this september) that the district could replace my position but would probably be hired into another open position. Today I was informed that I should start looking into another district and that the positions have been filled from teachers outside of the district.

I have had great reviews and evaluations and I can't help wondering if I was terminated so the district does not have to award tenure. Do I possibly have a wrongful termination suit against the district?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

Do you have any reason to believe you may have been discriminated against on the basis of your race, age (40 or older), gender, disability, or other protected status?