socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

A manager faxed in a Dr. note stating that she needs to be

A manager faxed in a Dr. note stating that she needs to be out of work until a cardiac test is performed. Two weeks later she faxes another Dr. note that does not clear her to come back to work for another 2 weeks. The employee does not qualify for FMLA based on the fact that our location does not have at least 50 employees within a 75 mile radius.

The company is suffering a hardship without this manager. Would it be unlawful to separate?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
The FMLA, and its California analogue: CFRA, require 50 employees within a 75 mile radius of the worksite as a condition of providing benefits. This is a "bright-line" rule. Title 2 Ca. ADC § 7297.0(d).

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!